Thursday, February 2, 2012

Day Four: Exploring and The Devil and Mr. Punch

More exploring, however this time we did not get lost.  Went searching for books in Leicester Square area.  Known for its many book stores, new and old.
On the way to the book store we walked through London's China Town

All of the book stores were filled from ceiling to floor in the main level and basement.

It was not uncommon to see shelves of book that were printed in the 1800's
After we left Leicester Square, we headed toward the Tate Modern, museum of modern art.  On our way there we walked through the Borough Market, a large outdoor market, with each stand specializing in a different type of delicious food.  While there I purchased two baclava and a large raspberry meringue pastry. 
The entrance into the market

My large raspberry meringue pastry

The fish market

Finally made it to the Tate Modern

Venus of the Rags by Michelangelo Pistoletto


Do Ho Suh, a replica of his apartment in New York


Small White Pebble Circles, by Richard Long.  Richard Long works with mostly organic materials and many of his installations are assembled in the same sight were he finds the materials.

The Picture is hard to see, but this was my favorite piece of art at the Tate Modern.  It is called Tree of 12 Meters, by Biuseppe Penone.  He took timber and then carved out around the knots to create what the trees may have looked like that the timber had come from.

Quartered Meteor, by Lynda Benglis

Sad that I am going to miss this.

Although I don't like fish I thought I had to add in this picture of fish and chips that one of my classmates had gotten for dinner at the pub we went to.
Although we could not take pictures, I finished off my night by going to see the puppet show, The Devil and Mr. Punch.  The show far exceeded my expectations despite its dark humor.

No comments:

Post a Comment